ANNE ANNE LOCKHART
FORUM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sheba killed in Year Two!?!?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, back when LIS was being developed, things didn't work that way. A season-long story arc is common today. Back then, it was a different story each ep, with the exception of the occassional two-parter.

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.
epaddon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so much a story arc (though LIS's first few episodes come darned close to one) as maintaining the tone that the series started out with which would have been serious adventure focusing on the family, and not the comic hijinks of Dr. Smith, Will and the Robot.
epaddon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAD wrote:
Those tapes are gold by the way... 8 or 9 hours of the best panels I've ever seen. Also loved the one with Larson and Dykstra. Too bad Lorne Greene was already gone by then. Would have been fantastic to hear him talk about the series. Anne looked really cute on those tapes... short hair. Smile

LOL, I never liked it too much when Anne had short hair. Glad she's kept it long more often! Smile

The sad thing about those tapes though is that Larson was dropping a hint about talking with Fox about reviving the show. Sadly, it never came to that, and that was the optimum time to still do a "pick up where we left off" continuation without having to advance the action too far ahead. I think in 1993, a lot of us would have even accepted a recasting of Adama if everyone else was back aboard.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which brings up the eternal question, at least for me...why does the good stuff so often get sidelined, while the sludge so often ends up on the air? Is there some quantum twist in the universe, or what?

Et verbum caro factum est, et habitavit in nobis: et vidimus gloriam ejus, gloriam quasi Unigenti a Patre, plenam gratiae et veritas.

Last edited by Senmut on Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:47 am; edited 1 time in total
epaddon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the many mysteries of life we can never figure out. OTOH, I do sometimes see some levels of vindication for other things. A Donner cut of Superman II is a partial fulfillment of what would have been a better film. I can also remember the joy of an extended cut of the musical "1776" on Laser Disc.

Galactica alas, has never once caught a break on anything it seems like. Ironically though, if the show HAD proceeded with this year two nonsense the essence of what we love so much about Galactica might have been destroyed in a way that Galactica 1980 didn't because we could so easily dismiss that project.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank the Lords of kobol for GAL80, then?

epaddon

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe thank the Lords more for the fact that when G80 was launched, everyone's contract had expired and thus the regular cast was under no compulsion to come back. If we'd seen G80 with the regulars, including Sheba etc. I think that too would have been painful to see.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, next to other things that could be mentioned, it was Shakespearean Masterpiece!

JKR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had there been a season 2 I hope they would not have killed off Sheba, Tigh, and some of the other characters. If the written notes are accurate of what may have been planned, I am rather glad the series went out with "The Hand of God" as that episode was both well done and had a reasonably optimistic conclusion.

That said, why is "canonicity" important for fan fiction? BSG is fiction and meant to entertain. The idea of fan fiction (from my viewpoint) is to take another's ideas (without stealing them for profit of course) and shape them with one's own creativity into something that the fan author would enjoy more himself. Some fans would rather see Sheba marry Apollo. Others would rather see her wind up with Bo Jay. Others might prefer the character remain celibate. Some would prefer to kill the character off while others might want to have her take over the entire fleet. I think the main point is that the character is fiction and the importance invested in said character is only what the individual fan makes of it.
Senmut
Persona Specialitas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canonicity is important, because it gives us a framework, from within which we write. Bordes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ANNE LOCKHART Forum Index -> Main Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: